Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Gordon Fee on Revelation


Over on Euagelion, Michael Bird has pointed an interview with Gordon Fee. As many will know, Gordon Fee has been a strong, positive voice in the field of biblical studies. Fee retired from Regent College in Vancouver, Canada, but has remained active in writing and lecturing on the New Testament.

Apparently Fee has a new commentary on Revelation published by Wipf & Stock. In the video Fee mentions that it was to be published in March of 2010. But I can't find it anywhere on the web.

The video is a nice summary of Fee's views on Revelation and how it should be interpreted. It is about 30 minutes long and those who are hoping he will identify the Anti-Christ or provide a date for the end of the world will be disappointed. Instead, you will hear a responsible perspective on how to handle this very bizarre book.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interview. I have great appreciation for Dr. Fee and have benefited immensely from his writings, particularly HOW TO READ THE BIBLE FOR ALL IT'S WORTH. I also enjoyed the work of Dr. David deSilva on Revelation: SEEING THINGS JOHN'S WAY. Please keep blogging and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arden,

    Thanks. I know someone is reading this stuff, I just don't know who. :)

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I've book marked it to view it later. Things like this are handy tool for breaching topics like genre and critical interpretations of biblical books with people who are only familiar with popular (and sometimes fundamentalist) interpretations. In fact, I had a discussion with a guy not too long ago regarding Revelation. He believes that Revelation was written to speak about the Roman Catholic Church...I brought up the idea of interpreting Revelation within its historical context. I was then accused of studying too much and not reading my Bible enough. Humorous to say the least.

    On another note, I recently joined a group called the Network of Biblical Storytellers. As Fee spoke about genre, I couldn't help but think how interesting (and cool) it would be to see Revelation orally performed. Has anyone every tried? I am working on memorizing James and wanted to turn next to Lamentations or Mark, but perhaps Revelation would be a beneficial challenge. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason,

    Sounds like an interesting group. I remember Radu performing 2 Timothy at the dig last year. It was quite a good way to hear an epistle. I think Revelation would be a bit harder. I once saw a movie with Dean Jones "John on Patmos" but I don't think that was a recital of Revelation but more of a biopic on John's life.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. @The Biblical World: Thanks for posting this. I love Dr. Fee and pretty much everything he writes. I think this will be a good addition to the current literature. I work at a Christian bookstore, and by chance I am the caretaker for the so-called "Prophecy" category of books. It's about 95% Dispensational and 5% Preterist. Frustrating, to say the least.

    @Jason: I love the comment about your "over-education." That's just classic. That group sounds fascinating; one of my favorite teachers did a few of Paul's letters on stage. It's a powerful tool and I'm glad to hear it isn't dying.

    ReplyDelete