Friday, August 13, 2010

Tweeting the Bible - One Chapter at a Time

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Someone has decided to put the entire Bible on Twitter. Chris Juby is reducing the 1,189 chapters of the Bible into 1,189 tweets. But since he is limited to 140 characters per entry, he has to come up with some creative ways of condensing. His first entry will go live on Sunday and Genesis 1 will read as follows:

“God created the heavens, the earth and everything that lives. He made humankind in his image, and gave them charge over the earth”

Juby says: 'It is my normal habit to read a chapter of the Bible each morning and I always read through from Genesis to Revelation. 'As I was coming to the end last time, I thought I needed a way of focusing my mind a little bit more on what I was reading. 'I thought a summary would be a good way of doing this. I already use Twitter, so I thought I'd share my summaries.'

I am not on Twitter so I won’t be following Juby’s summaries. But I am not sure what to make of it all. The interview makes his efforts sound sincere, if not a bit eccentric. I am not sure what value this will bring to readers of the Bible. How do you summarize an entire chapter into 140 characters and capture the essence of what the author was trying to say? I am curious how you would condense Psalm 119? How about the genealogical list in 1 Chronicles 1 or the much debated Romans 7? And let’s not forget the book of Revelation. Any chapter in that book will be a challenge.

While I think this Juby’s project will attract attention to the Bible, I am not sure it will be helpful, much less inspirational. I am even more curious to see if he can actually finish it. Maybe I will join Twitter . . .


  1. Hopefully his twitters will result in more people going to the Bible, fully investigating all of it, and engaging with and responding personally to the Living Word.

  2. John,
    I've had my intro to the Bible class at MVNU tweet 200 chapters of the Bible (I tell them which ones) each semester. They don't go to twitter, but just type them out and give them to me. And I tell them specifically not to summarize each chapter, but to reflect on each chapter. I works a lot better then having them sign a paper saying they read them and they end up having some great insights into the text.

    I'm glad I found your blog...
    kevin peterson