Thursday, September 23, 2010

What are you reading?


I do a lot of reading. In fact, I get paid to read. That is one of the many reasons that I love my job. In fact, it is not unusual for me to be reading several books at the same time. I might have one at my office. One I read in the evening after dinner and another next to the bed. But that can get to be a bit much.

But I can't read books on biblical studies all the time. I know some people in my field who read nothing but theology books. Scot McKnight once told me he doesn't read novels. Too bad. I like to dive into the land of make believe from time to time.

I tend to favor classics. I love Dickens and Twain. But I have read most of John Grisham's books and J.K. Rowling. I am not much into biographies. But I have read a few about famous theologians (Bruce Metzger, G.E. Ladd, Albert Schweitzer, Jurgen Moltmann). I have even read Velvet Elvis and Blue Like Jazz. The former was "ok" the latter made little sense to me.

Last week I was picking my way through some of Nathanial Hawthorne's short stories.

Recently I started reading John Steinbeck's East of Eden for at least the second time. I enjoy just about everything he wrote, with the exception of the Grapes of Wrath. I am reading East of Eden again because I recently completed a manuscript for a new book on Cain and Abel. East of Eden has a number of biblical themes woven into the story including Cain and Abel.

What do you like to read? Can you recommend something new to me? I am not much into science fiction so James McGrath will need to suggest something else. :) I like epics. Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth was good. I wish I had a TV to watch the series on Starz.

What are you reading? Let me know and maybe leave me a suggestion. It doesn't have to be a novel.


12 comments:

  1. The Shack, William Young. I liked it and don't understand all the controversy about it--is it because God is pictured as a woman?

    Before the Flood, Ian Wilson. A used book I thought looked interesting. Not sure what to think about it because I don't know much about archeology. You might like it!

    The Nonviolent Atonement, J Denny Weaver. Yet another view of the atonement. Can't say I agree with everything he suggests.

    The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister. Nonna Bannister. Born in Russia, compiled from her childhood diaries written during and following World War II.

    I read "Ben Hur" for the second time over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two books I suggestion to everyone - Stephen King's "Cell" and Clark Pinnock's "Most Moved Mover". Love both books.

    Books I am currently reading for "fun":
    -Donald Miller's Searching for God Knows What (not as good as blue like jazz)
    -Tom Oord's Creation Made Free (more about pratically applying open theism instead of just defending it)

    Books I am reading for school:
    -Is Jesus the Only Savior? By Ronald Nash (pretty slanted and obvious he is an exclusivist)
    -What about those who have never heard? By John Sanders (I enjoy the point, counter point, format of the book)
    -How shall they be saved? By Millard Erickson (a fair review of multiple opinions. much better than Nash's)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb,

    I read the Shack. It was ok. I had not problem with it. I guess it is just not where I am at. The Secret Holocaust diaries sounds interesting.

    Dan,

    I have never read anything by Stephen King. I am not into horror, but I have enjoyed some of his other stuff. I wonder what it is about Donald Miller that doesn't grab me. I suppose I should try again. Some times I get into a funk.

    I had two books on Romans this summer I just couldn't finish. One was Overly technical. The other was so slanted it was hard to see what it had to do with Romans.

    Thanks to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fredrick Copleston: The History of Philosophy, v. 1. PreSocratics to Post-Aristotelian.

    To the Golden Shore: The Biography of Adoniram Judson.

    Gates of Fire, by Stephen Pressfield. A historical fiction based upon the battle of Thermopylae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting ready to read "Sun Stand Still" by Steven Furtick (I received a free review copy).

    I loved "Blue Like Jazz" and the follow-up, "Searching For God Knows What." And "Velvet Elvis" was great. I want to read "Simply Christian" by N.T. Wright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey John,

    At the moment, I'm reading Living With Contradictions by Esther De Waal; a contemporary application of the Rule of St. Benedict. It seemed fitting while I'm in Oxford, which began first as a Carmelite school, then a Benedictine one. I wish I read more novels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll add a few to what I posted on facebook

    Recommended: Ananthem by Neal Stephenson

    What I'm reading (or just finished):

    The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

    History of the Siege of Lisbon by Jose Saramago

    Stiff: Curious Life of Cadavers by Mary Roach

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mentioned this to Lori... but I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. It is young adult fiction – but very good. It takes place in a dystopia - similar to two of my favorite books, The Giver by Lowry and The Handmaid’s Tale by Atwood.
    I don’t like “horror” fiction at all, but I did read and enjoy Stephen King’s Duma Key. It is set at the beach, and I was on vacation at the beach when I read it, so the setting was perfect for his weird and creepy book.
    I just bought the book The Help. It may be too "girlie" but will let you know if it is good.
    I enjoy reading other people's book ideas!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finished Hannah's Child by Stanley Hauerwas - vintage Hauerwas, looking at re-reading Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro in anticipation of the movie (great fictional work), re-reading and blogging through Manning's The Importance of Being Foolish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just finished Hannah's Child by Hauerwas - vintage Hauerwas. Re-reading and blogging through Manning's The Importance of Being Foolish, and considering re-reading Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you like Epic's, try out Steven Erikson's series, "Malazan: Book of the Fallen." The first book in the series is "Gardens of the Moon."

    That being said, currently for fun I am reading A.W. Tozer's "Knowledge of the Holy" after finishing "God at War" by Gregory Boyd.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am curious to know what you think about eReaders like the Nook, Kindle, and Sony eReader. Personally, I am fascinated by the technology, but I love the smell and feel of a book.

    ReplyDelete