Thursday, September 1, 2011

In the Mail: Bruce Fisk - A Hitchhikers Guide to Jesus

Last week the kind folks at Baker publishing sent me a copy of Bruce Fisk's new book A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground. Here is the blurb.

This imaginative approach to Jesus studies chronicles the journey of Norm, a fictional college graduate who travels to the Middle East to see if he can study Jesus and follow him at the same time, and if curiosity will make him a better disciple or no disciple at all.

Norm sets out on an adventure to investigate the New Testament and the life of Jesus for himself, hitchhiking simultaneously across the Gospels and the land. His travels offer students and lay readers a creative and engaging way to explore many of the major questions in Jesus studies today. Will Norm be able to reconcile his Christian faith with critical scholarship? As readers follow his faith journey, they learn the importance of asking probing questions. The book's lavish, journal-style interior design--featuring maps, photos, doodles, sketches, and email exchanges between Norm and his professor--makes it fun to read.



I started reading the book the other day and I cannot put it down. It is an outstanding introduction to the Gospels that integrates the questions associated with biblical criticism while at the same time thinking about the implications for faith. Fisk has done a fine job of taking the reader along the journey as 'Norm" travels through Israel learning about Jesus. It is like Gerd
Theissen's The Shadow of the Galilean, only better.

Now here is the best part. I will be participating in a blog tour that will feature reviews of Fisk's book. In the first week of October Baker has arranged for bibliobloggers to post reviews of the book. And, there will also be contests with prizes. So be sure to check back in October for the blog tour.

In the mean time, order Fisk's book. You will not regret it.







1 comment:

  1. Student's perspective: My mind is being stretched by so many new thoughts and ideas in this book that my brain feels like Silly Putty. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the end after I finish. With that being said, I can't put it down either, as I am too curious as to what "Norm" discovers next. I have this horrid fascination of what belief I hold onto that will be dissected apart next.

    BTW, my cover is slightly different from yours. Instead of one picture at the bottom left, my copy has two.

    ReplyDelete