Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Beer - The Other Savior of Civilization

As some of you may know, when I am not reading in Greek and Hebrew or writing on some topic related to biblical studies, I like to make beer. I have been a home-brewer for about seven years and even teach an "Introduction to Brewing" class. Much to the chagrin of my students, it is not a course I offer at the seminary.

I know there is quite a controversy among some Christians as to whether or not one should drink. Obviously, I have made my choice as to which side I land. But there are some who are still deciding. While I am not looking to convert anyone to drink beer or wine (another hobby I have dabbled in), that is a personal choice, I thought my readers might enjoy some of the information that has been in the blogosphere recently.

Over at Theology for Real Life, Preston Sprinkle has been doing a series on the topic of alcohol. His posts are titled Wine, BeerCabernet Sauvignon, O'doul's and Belgium Trippel Ale. I think you will find his discussion quite stimulating.

If, after reading Preston's posts, you still are not sure about the value of beer to our civilization, then I suggest you watch the below video. It details how beer saved the world. It is obviously full of tongue and cheek, but it is also full of real history.

Happy New Year!


  1. Every Irishman like me knows that God created whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world. . . . Every Lutheran like me also knows that Martin Luther wrote some of his best stuff after drinking the rest of the reformers under the table.

  2. That makes me thirsty...

  3. What a great video series!! If nothing else, I will appreciate a good beer even more now, and will have lots of useless (?) trivia about beer to throw around when with friends. ;-)