Thursday, January 5, 2012

Health Evangelism: Yet another way NOT to use the Bible.

This has been on the web the last few days and I studiously avoided posting anything about it. But being early in the new year things are slow at the biblical world. And besides, this kind of application of the Bible is just plain annoying.

Jerry Anderson is a "health evangelist" and fitness guru. I have never heard of a health evangelist before, but I suppose it is the result of misapplying scripture combined with a zeal for healthy living. I don't object to healthy reading and I certainly don't object to studying the Bible. But I am not convinced that the Bible provides much in the way of health advice, except for the admonition to "take a little wine for your stomach" (1 Tim 5:23). In many ways this is the kind of biblicism that Christian Smith was reacting against in his book The Bible Made Impossible (see my review here).

I will refrain from commenting further and leave it to my readers to provide the expert analysis.





6 comments:

  1. Ugh. Bad exegesis meets the American fetish for fitness. Another example of someone hijacking the Bible to make money and get face time. I hope this guy doesn't write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good grief. What Krista said. Further proof that proof-texting will get you anywhere, help you lose weight-- and get you on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So out of context. I've heard similar stuff from the Vegetarian folk saying that "The Bible proves that Jesus was a Vegetarian." Really? Since when is lamb a vegetable? (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything in moderation is my thought. When we limit our food sources we start to have health issues. I'm so tired of all this fad dieting and dragging the Bible into it just gets my blood boiling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that this has nothing to do with evangelism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds a lot like my capitalistic hermeneutic, where I argue that God created capitalism on the 5 day. I also argue that Jesus, in the parable of the talents mirrors God capitalistic desires, calling his followers to take his money so that they can make more. Finally, the "bling bling in the Sky," as Revelation suggests, is coming to the earth and is going to be made manifest :-D (please no hate mail....I'm kidding.....I think).

    ReplyDelete