Monday, November 26, 2012

Jesus is my Password

I remember the bumper sticker many years ago that declared "Jesus is my Copilot." I suppose that it was meant to comfort and reassure me that even though the guy in front of me might have horrible driving skills, Jesus was sitting in the seat next to him ready to take the wheel and protect us all. While I am a bit cynical about that bumper sticker there may be something to it. After all, I can't remember ever seeing an accident with a car bearing said bumper sticker.

Now it seems that Jesus has moved into cyberspace. A recent study reveals that "Jesus" has become a favorite password for some. SplashID Safe compiled the list of the years most popular passwords.

The top three passwords, "password," "123456” and "12345678," remain unchanged from last year's list. New entries to this year's list include "welcome," "jesus," "ninja," "mustang" and "password1."

You can read the whole article here.

Of course using Jesus as a password opens one up to all sorts of theological conundrums. What happens if your Jesus protected account is hacked? Is Jesus negligent? Have the powers of darkness become more powerful? And what happens if you get a computer virus? Do you ask Jesus to heal your computer or do you assume that you simply lacked enough faith? And in the realm of theodicy, if your hard drive crashes while using Jesus as a password is Jesus somehow to blame?

HT: Allan Bevere





1 comment: