Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Don Hagner on Faith, Criticism and Certitude in the New Testament

Donald Hagner is emeritus professor of New Testament at Fuller Seminary. Hagner studied at Fuller seminary for his masters degree under the tutelage of George Eldon Ladd. He then went to the UK to study under F.F. Bruce. In recent years he has retired from full time teaching and, from conversations I have had with him, has been enjoying the time writing and travelling.

I have always appreciated Hagner's work and his commentary on Matthew is one that I turn to on a regular basis. But when I heard that he had published an Introduction to the New Testament I wondered why.I wasn't sure that we needed yet another introduction. It's not there is any one introduction that is final word. But there are just so many.

A couple of days ago Baker Academic, the publisher of Hagner's Introduction to the New Testament released two short video interviews with Hagner about the book. I am intrigued! I need to get a copy and read it. The first thing that caught my attention was when Don describes the way he demonstrates the connection between the Old and New Testaments and even includes a chapter on the Old Testament. It is that sort of approach to scholarship that has always made me appreciate Hagner's work. Now I need to get a copy of this book.

Here are the video interviews. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! Hagner is one of my favourate NT scholars ... such a humble man ... he worked on this book for months here at Tyndale House, Cambridge

    ReplyDelete