Saturday, August 3, 2013

Pauline Authorship and Scholarly Consensus. An interesting chart.

As any seminary student knows, not everyone agrees that Paul wrote all the letters that are attributed to him. There are doubts about his authorship of 2 Thessalonians, Ephesians, Colossians and the Pastorals.

But to hear some people talk you would think that there is unanimous agreement. But the chart here shows otherwise. It is taken from an article Paul Foster wrote and a poll he took at a session of the British New Testament conference. While this can't be called a scientific poll, it is interesting to note that while many suspect Paul didn't write the Pastorals, many do favor Pauline authorship of the other disputed epistles. Like myself, many could go either way on Ephesians.

HT: James McGrath.



2 comments:

  1. Interesting chart. Not being a pro like you, I really can't speak to this. My only thoughts run along the line of 'does it impact my faith?' The answer, for me, is no. They're all part of the canon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    That's my view. It's not that I don't care about authorship, but, I assume God had His role in collating this specific collection of writings for our perusal. If some are pseudonymous, alright.

    ReplyDelete